WHO WE ARE
The Montgomery County State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a public service for County seniors managed by the Jewish Council for the Aging of Greater Washington (JCA) made possible through funding by the U.S. Administration for Community Living, with support from Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services, and the Maryland Department of Aging. This combination of federal and County funding covers the costs of a small staff. The JCA of Greater Washington holds the contract for the SHIP of Montgomery County, Maryland.
Montgomery County SHIP also manages the Montgomery County Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP), a program to help Medicare beneficiaries identify and report health care fraud, abuse, and errors.
The staff relies on a corps of well-trained volunteer experts to provide counseling to help people navigate the complicated Medicare system and the private policies that supplement Medicare coverage gaps such as co-pays.
WHAT WE DO
SHIP provides free information, educational programs, individual counseling about:
- Medicare supplement plans (Medigap)
- Medicare Advantage (managed care) plans
- Prescription drug plans
- Medicare saving programs (QMB/SLMB) and Prescription Drug Assistance Programs (Extra Help/SPDAP)
- Employer health insurance plans
- Long-term care insurance.
- The SHIP program also works to curb Medicare fraud and abuse, and to resolve client’s billing issues.
FREE Information: SHIP updates and supplies printed information, comparison charts and tables outlining health insurance options.
FREE Educational presentations: SHIP provides monthly “Introduction to Medicare” seminars, and training to community groups, faith based organizations, clubs, neighborhood associations, and our aging network partners. If you would like to schedule a presentation, please contact SHIP at 301-255-4211.
FREE Individual counseling:
- Counseling is available through phone. We usually respond to phone messages within 48 hours.
- Counseling is also available in-person to help solve individual insurance problems, assist with Medicare and Medicaid forms, insurance claims, and act as advocates in making appeals. To schedule one-on-one appointments at the Jewish Council for the Aging Bronfman Center in Rockville, White Oak Senior Center or Holiday Park in Wheaton, call 301-255-4250 or email SHIP.
OUR IMPACT: SHIP serves more than 100,000 people in Montgomery County with Medicare, including those who are aged 65 and older, and those under 65 who are disabled. Our outreach is to this population, their family members and caregivers, as well as to our aging network partners. SHIP’s FREE Prescription Drug Analysis service provides clients with the lowest-cost options to inform their enrollment in Medicare Part D prescription drug plans. This potentially saves county seniors more than $350,000 annually.
Read about SHIP in the Beacon Newspaper September Edition:Beacon Newspaper article on SHIP September 2018