Kindness can transform someone’s dark moment with a blaze of light. You’ll never know how much your caring matters. Make a difference for another today.–Amy Leigh Mercree
SHIP volunteers make it possible to give personal service to thousands of Montgomery County residents each year. See how you can help your neighbors!
- If you want the challenge of learning about Medicare and how it applies to individual situations
- If you value the mental engagement necessary for ongoing Medicare training and education
- If you want to have a positive, immediate impact on County seniors’ lives
Then Join Our SHIP!
- Help staff outreach presentations
- Offer information at health expos
- Engage with people in communities with diverse language skills.
- Transport and disseminate information materials to partnering organizations
- Help prepare and mail outreach materials
- Make outreach calls to community organizations
- Assist in completing client reports (data entry)
- Update materials with current Medicare information
- Counsel Medicare-eligible County residents, caregivers, and family members
- Answer questions about Medicare
- Help resolve billing Issues and Appeals
- Provide information about savings programs to help with Medicare costs
Training is available to all SHIP volunteers through bi-weekly case study calls and monthly presentations from Medicare related experts.
Before a volunteer can begin to become a counselor, they must be certified. As a result, prospective counselors receive extensive training and must:
- Complete an online, self-paced training course.
- Pass a Medicare certification test.
How to Become a SHIP Volunteer
The work is challenging, interesting, and very rewarding. Your commitment to SHIP is matched by our staff’s commitment to you.
Contact SHIP for more information about volunteering opportunities.